Monday 30 January 2012

What's next, the gas chambers?

I know some people will think this is extreme but to disabled people like myself the dread that the government will eventually force us into a modern version of the Nazi gas chambers is a very real thing. They are looking to legalise euthanasia in this country at the self same time as the government are cutting benefits, not to the people who claim fraudulently as they would have you believe, but actually to the genuinely disabled people who employers won't employ because employing them is not economic because of the time they need off sick and for appointments and because of the different equipment and support they need.
The government will have you believe that working will be the making of us and will miraculously cure our illnesses but the truth is that those of us who can work can only work for an hour or so a day and only in positions that are not stood up and not carrying anything, what employer will put up with that when they have a hundred applying for the position who can work a full shift and carry anything? And many more just can't work at all due to mental health problems or physical problems that mean they can't get out of the house without help. And yet the government are declaring them fit to work, how are they supposed to find jobs? With the push to legalise euthanasia, many will feel that this is the only option for them so they don't enforce a burden on their families to pay for them and their needs that are an increased drain on the family finances. Especially when the government are going to overturn a decision by the Lords to not let them limit ESA (Employment and Support Allowance) to only 1 year if the spouse earns more than £7,500 per annum. £7,500 per annum is a minute amount and is never going to be enough to support the average 2 adults, 2 kids family, especially if one is disabled and needs special equipment, special food or care during the day when a spouse is at work.
I know that many of you that read this will not be affected by this and so will disregard what I am saying, but please, please read and realise that there is no guarantee that it will not affect you in the future, I did not ask for this illness that has floored me, I have not made it up, it is real, believe me I could not make up an illness that leaves me in such pain night and day in every part of my body, and believe me you just cannot imagine what it is like being in pain in every part of your body all the time, day and night, it has to be experienced to be believed! If I could have even a day off that would be great, but I can't.
I wrote this on my facebook page last night and it upset some people,  I'm sorry if I have upset people with my views but I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't truly and totally believe it.
With all the conservatives are doing and saying I do honestly believe that they believe that the country would be a better place without disabled people. It's a very unpalatable truth but if you look at their policies they are all aimed at marginalizing and isolating disabled people and the wording they are using both in policy and in the press is forcing blame on disabled people for the financial defecits of the country. For many, especially those with mental illness, this is just a step too far and the burden of blame will cause devastating effects, especially if euthanasia is legalised. Even for me it would make me think twice whether it would be better for my partner and parents if I was no longer around, certainly financially it would be, but emotionally would be a different matter, but still I would have to consider it carefully if I was to become that much of a burden!
If I am getting benefits at least I am contributing, but with the DLA/PIP proposals I may not be eligible anymore and so I will contribute nothing and I will be made to feel totally worthless by the government, I will have no self-esteem, we will lose our house, all because of me. Who would not choose oblivion rather than that huge burden of blame? But is that not giving in to what they want?
I really feel that this needed saying and 'able-bodied' people need to be made aware of the brainwashing that is going on, especially through the press, to make them believe that all the country's problems are down to disabled people claiming benefits and that anyone claiming benefits is a fraudster, a cheat and a scrounger. If I can get even one person to see through the smokescreen the government is putting out then I have achieved something.

1 comment: